Thursday, June 17, 2010

EVO: Update

OK.

I was on the fence.

I loved the hardware, but I was torn over the UI.

What a difference a few days make. I still miss Synergy, cards, and the overall intuitive nature of WebOS, but HTC's Sense along with Android are growing on me every day.

Leap has now become second nature, and while it may not be as intuitive as WebOS's cards, there is no functionality missing.

As I was sitting at the hotel bar last night, I struck up a conversation with a Pre owner. We swapped phones and played around for a few minutes. The end result is that Sense/Android is for the most part a wash with WebOS. I still have to say that I miss swipe to delete though.

The lack of a physical keyboard was a worry of mine, but I've made the transition pretty well. Adding Swype as an app has certainly not hurt. Find it here. It has allowed me to type faster than I ever thought possible from a mobile platform.

I was also able to get a 4g connection while I was at the hotel outside of Boston. All I can say is "Wow". I was able to watch YouTube effortlessly. It loaded without buffering, streamed flawlessly, and was a high quality crisp picture.

Overall, I'm giving it an A-. It's a powerful, customizable platform that compromises in very few (if any) areas.

I'd like to see some better apps, but who wouldn't? It's truly a viable competitor to the 4th gen iphone, and offers more to the open source crowd (I am root).

I'll be pulling down the SDK soon and playing around to see what all of the buzz is about.

No comments: