Monday, October 11, 2010

App Review

Geez. Either I've been living under a rock or I don't know where to look for good Android apps. I've recently discovered a few great ones like Square. Recently, I've had a chance to check out one more that I like.

The first is Lookout Mobile Security. QR code here. With the advent of the recent superphones from Apple, HTC, and Motorola (amongst other) we are starting to do many of our daily activities on our phone. With all of the apps and recent mobile security issues (here and here), security solutions are looking like more of a requirement than a nice to have feature.

A thorough video from www.droid-life.com can be found below. With a clean interface, it allows you to scan for malicious software and uninstall if it finds anything. It also allows for backup of contacts, call history, and pictures. I have to say that my favorite feature is the "locate" feature. Provided that your location services (GPS) are enabled, you can log onto the Lookout portal and locate your phone. You can even cause it to "scream", although I wouldn't recommend it as it is quite loud and annoying (as it should be).

The one area that needs improvement is the remote lock/wipe. This feature has been teased for quite some time now on Android. Given the price of this app (free), I can't find too much fault with that. However, it will be interesting to see if this is added with the premium product that they have also been teasing. Depending on your needs, the free version may fit the bill. All in all a solid useful app.

Review from www.droid-life.com

No comments: