Sunday, June 26, 2011

HP Touchsmart 600-1390

I bought this giant slab of PC as an open box special. I'm not sure I would pay full price for an all-in-one, because they aren't as upgradeable as the more tradiotional PC form factors. Specs here.

All of that being said, I think this is a great looking PC. The I really enjoy the form factor. Some may argue that it is an aging desing (it is), but I actually prefer it to the newer design of the 610 series. Some may argue that the 610 is more ergonomic with it's swivel stand that lets you bring the screen almost flat when needed, but for me that's just not how I work with the machine.

The sleek minimalist design and discreet soundbar are really pleasant to look at. And the soundbar produces lovely sound. I have it paired with a set of Bose Companion 3 Series II PC speakers, and the sound is great. The little touches, such as the backlight (above the soundbar) are appreciated. The monitor itself is great. With great colors, sharp and clear pictures, and great viewing angles, it's like a 3rd flat screen.

The included wireless mouse is strictly average in form, but built well. As for the wireless keyboard, it's a sleek modern affair, but it is the best keyboard that I have used (disclaimer - I'm not a gamer, and I type like a 5 year old). It's just got a really nice tactile feel that works for me.

For now, the touchscreen is more gimmick than feature in a lot of ways. While Windows 7 supports touch, it wasn't really built with a "touch first" mentality". So for now, you have settle for layers like HP's Touchsmart on top of Windows. I'm pretty sure that this will change when Windows 8 (or whatever it is eventually called) rolls out. I've heard that there are leaked pre-betas out, but as soon as the public beta is out, I'll give it a try. In the meantime, Touchsmart will have to do :)

That's not to totally dismiss HP's Touchsmart software, it's just that it really doesn't live up to the promise of the fast and fluid touch experience we are used to on our Android and iDevices. There are hits: the recipe app (worthy of it's own review), the note app, and the painting app come to mind. But overall, the apps built for touch on the PC need to mature. For example, the Touchsmart Facebook app cannot even connect to Facebook. And the Rhapsody app requires that you have the premier account with up to 3 mobile authorizations, as the Touchsmart app is considered as a device. Boo.

Getting back to setting up a digital hub for myself, this machine is perfect. Once I moved over my digital libraries and set up my Homegroup, I was off to the races. With 1TB on board, plus another 1.5 TB of NAS, this machine has taken everything that I have thrown at it without skipping a beat. Everything streams flawlessly. And with it's mid to higher end hardware, this will serve as my digital hub for a long time to come.

  • Overall : B+
  • Hardware: A
  • Software: B
  • Suitability for intended use: A

No comments: