Sunday, June 26, 2011

Seagate GoFlex Home review.

OK. I've centered my digital life around a desktop. I've even managed some basic content management across machines with the help of some batch files and the cloud. Now it was time to add some NAS. I went with the Seagate GoFlex Home 1TB.

Set up was relatively easy in the sense that my machine recognized the NAS immediately. It also installed the Memeo crapware immediately. Memeo uses an active backup that runs in the background to backup your PC. I was unable to launch the Seagate dashboard referenced in the instructions. It didn't really matter, since I had intended to use Windows 7 backup anyhow. I was still able to access the NAS from the web interface, which is more my cup of tea.I like the web interface, as it allows streaming on the home network and access to the drive when not on the home network.

Which brings me to my next issue. Aside from the crapware, the Windows backup to the drive kept failing at about 90%. After calling Seagate support and being told that they don't support Windows backup and that I needed to use Memeo, a little Googling yielded the results I was looking for. It appeared to be a permissions issue, which was remedied by logging on to the Seagate as a root user (the Seagate runs linux)via Putty. The article that pointed me in the right direction can be found here. One I followed the steps presented by one of the posters, backups are working flawlessly. This is a major issue to me. Why do I need to root my NAS in order to backup the way that I want to?

  • Overall : C+
  • Hardware: A
  • Software: F
  • Suitability for intended use: C+

No comments: